What if you let yourself DREAM? Use the 2023 Dream Sheet and have some fun thinking about the possibilities!
Thinking about New Year’s Resolutions had me stressed and feeling like a failure. Could it be because I knew there was a big one that we didn’t even touch from last year. Ho hum, resolutions, schmezolutions. Forget about it.
I want time to dream. I want to think about possibilities and not be confined to the do better and limit yourself mentality.
Dare To Dream
A while back, I read the book: Living Well Spending Less. There were a few things that really resonated and stuck with me.
- The Dream comes first. Ridiculous dreams. Dreams that seem impossible. If nothing stood in your way, what would you do? When you have the freedom to dream, you create a road map for your future. Take time to dream!
- How do you eat an elephant? That dream that is so big, you can’t figure out where to start. One bite at a time. One chunk at a time.
- Write it down! Put those dreams on paper and break it down into manageable chunks.
- What do you love? Where is your sweet spot? The intersection where your passion meets your greatest strength. This is the intersection where we are truly at our greatest self.
I bucked up. I took last year’s resolutions off the cork board, inside the kitchen cabinet. The ones that have been staring me in the face reminding me of my failures.
We sat down as a family and revisited our New Year’s Resolutions and faced them head on. Lo and behold. It actually wasn’t so bad after all!
That biggie that haunted me all year was really the only big failure. I realized we hadn’t cut that elephant up into chunks. The other resolutions were fluffy stuff like reflect on what I’m grateful for each day, keep hope, and see situations and people through God’s eyes. While admirable, I wanted more.
THEN, we took time to DREAM!
We came up with ten categories and aimed to write two goals for each category:
- Physical: Ya, ya, the normal resolutions type stuff. You know, the ones where you resolve to work out every day of the year and lose weight. This one is natural for me. I’ve steadily worked out an average of three days per week for as long as I can remember. Us gym folk are always excited to see so many join us at the gym for the month of January but selfishly are glad when they fade away and the gym is back to it’s pre-resolution days. Sounds rude, doesn’t it? Prove us wrong and stick with it this year!
- Financial: This is a popular one too and the big one we failed miserably at last year.
- Spiritual: I think I focused on this one last year.
- For the Home: Why not? There’s always something that needs to be done. Write it down!
- Mental: How will you exercise your mind this year?
- Family Life: What do you want to do as a family this year? Eat dinners together more often? One of my son’s was to play video games as a family. Without this exercise, I would have never known that was a desire of his heart.
- Things to Try: We all need to push ourselves to experience something new.
- Dreams: Dreams are where it all starts! Let loose. Dream a little!
- Material Desires: There ARE things we want. So many of us are trying to simplify and live a minimalist life but get real! We all have a few materialistic things we want and that’s okay! It’s quite gratifying to look over your list at the end of the year and realize you’ve actually acquired a few!
- Goals in Common: Mary and Jim over at Old World Garden Farms inspired me to not only set individual goals, but to also find goals in common with the family. These are goals you want to work towards as a family. Goals that every family member is on board with and excited about!
We each had our own piece of paper to write down our goals and then we shared them. It was kind of cool that some of our goals were in alignment with each other. We wrote those goals in the ‘Goals in Common’ section and divvied up chunks to make those goals happen.
Do you ever feel like you take two steps forward and five steps back? You feel like nothing is ever accomplished and you’re just barely able to keep your head above water.
You know what? There’s HOPE!
It starts with the Dream Sheet.
Put your dreams in writing.
THEN, next year, take a look at your Dream Sheet and be amazed. Amazed that you actually DID accomplish stuff and realize, the stuff you didn’t, might not be too important after all.
This post contains affiliate links. When you purchase through an affiliate link, we receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Disclosure.
Dream Sheet Supplies
- Printer – I have this one and it’s awesome!
- Card Stock
- 2023 Dream Sheet Printable – found below
- Fun Pens
How To Use The 2023 Dream Sheet
Write words in each section to express the dreams you have for 2023!
Here, I will list a few ideas for each section in order to get your creative juices flowing.
It’s important to take the time to take care of ourselves! If time was no object, what would you do to take care of the body you’ve been given?
- work out three times a week
- sign up to play a sport
- walk every day
- take supplements
- eat whole foods
Stuff I Want
We all want stuff, right? Sometimes it seems like we never get what we want. Write down the desires of your heart. Next year you will likely discover you’ve accumulated some of that stuff and some of it might not be important anymore.
A MacBook Pro has been on my Dream Sheet since 2015. It’s something I can certainly live without but it will continue to make the list until it becomes a reality!
- new house
- MacBook Pro
- new outfit
This is a BIG one! What could you do to feel financially secure? It might not seem possible but this is your space to dream.
- pay off credit card debt
- pay off car
- earn $500 extra per month
- reduce electric bill
- give to others
For The Home
If money were no object, what would you do to make your home the oasis you’d love it to be?
It’s funny how I look at my Dream Sheets from years past and realize we have accomplished dreams we had for our home. Oh, how easy we forget!
Back in 2018, I had hoped to get a king size bed.
I actually built a king size bed! Check it out!
I was able to check that dream off my list!
- new couch
- replace floors
- remodel bathroom
- decorate bedroom
What would you like to do together as a family? Put it on paper and see what happens!
- hang out together more
- work out together
- work on family scrapbooks
- play a game once a week
Things To Try
It’s always exciting to try new things! What would you like to try?
I’d like to try to build a table. Think I can do it?
- try a new hobby (name the hobby)
- new hairstyle
- learn something new (name it)
- start a new routine
- check out a new activity (name it)
This is your chance to get crazy! If you could have anything, what would it be?
- a new house
- a massive road trip
- financial stability
Get in touch with your spiritual side!
- love more
- read devotions
- stay positive
Your mental health is important. What can you do to stay sharp and live a happy life?
- exercise mind by (name it)
- focus on good things
- laugh a lot
- rejoice in failure
- surround yourself with positive people
Dreams In Common
This is the section where you compare your dreams to your spouse and kids. What dreams do you all have in common?
- take a vacation
- financial freedom
- hang out together more
Let yourself dream!
Record your dreams as evidence of how far you’ve come! Your future self will thank you for it!
There is no pressure, just history in the making. You can handle that!
Get your 2023 Dream Sheet Printable here!
The Dream Sheet comes in color or black and white!
2023 Dream Sheet
All in all, it was inspiring and motivational to sit with the family and discuss our goals. It was actually quite FUN! So fun, in fact, that I’m thinking we need a weekly family session of dreaming and revisiting the desires of our hearts!
Oh … and that biggie that we failed at miserably? Somehow, it wasn’t all that important to us, after all.
More New Year Ideas
New Year’s Trivia Questions And Answers + Game Cards
Wishing You A Poppin’ New Year Microwave Popcorn Tag
Black And Yellow Banner Flags You Can Print At Home
Wednesday 20th of October 2021
Thank you, I need the positivity of this post today, as the future was looking a bit bleak. Your site is my happy addiction. I love the printables and posts, it allows me to turn towards the positive outlook and makes the things that hinder me seem less like insurmountable obstacles. Thank you again.
Wednesday 20th of October 2021
@Colleen, thank you so much for sharing! You totally made my day!!! It is my mission to share a little sunshine and I'm so happy to read your words! Thank you for your support!